Stylistically evocative of the mighty 300SL, but with a slightly less complex drive train, the 190SL remains among the most desirable roadsters of its era. The prototype was first shown at the 1954 New York Auto Show, with the 190SL produced between May 1955 and February 1963.
The 190SL was sold alongside the 300SL, similar not just in terms of styling, engineering and detailing, but also sharing fully independent suspension, double wishbone suspension at the front and swing axles at the rear.
Delivered new on the 27th of February 1959, to the Mero-Benz dealership, London, this rare right hand drive 190SL is one of an approximate 562 examples made from an overall production run of 25,881.
Finished in Emerald green with contrasting green interior and a green fabric hood. During its ownership, this car has had work done by marque specialists including Steve Redfern, Redcastle and Thredder engineering, including an engine rebuild in 2016. The cars original Solex carburettors that the owner has taken the time to retain after converting it to Webbers in order to increase usability whilst retaining its originality.
The car represents the style of true Mercedes Benz Sports Car motoring in the 1950’s and offers as much pleasure to drive today as it was when manufactured in 1959.