It was at the London Motor show in 1959 when Aston Martin and David Brown formally introduced the competition-oriented varient DB4 GT, based on the race winning prototype DP1991. The GT was shorter, lighter and more powerful than the production DB4. The bodywork was a thinner 18-gauge aluminium alloy, the wheelbase was reduced by 5 inches and the rear seats were removed on all but a small number of special order cars. Total production was 76 cars and they were built from late 1959 to 1962. In 1960 the price with purchase tax was £4,534.00.
Chassis 0158 was delivered new in April 1961 to The Hon Jock Leith in Glenkindie, Aberdenshire. It was finished in Elusive Blue with black leather to the interior. The build sheet confirms this car as one of the five that were supplied with the twin fuel tanks in the rear wings and the spare wheel under the boot floor allowing the boot space to be used for stowage. The car changed hands for the first time in 1971 when it was bought by Mr TF Maltby of Hampshire. By 1975 it was in the hands of Mr D Preece of Newport. In 1975 it was sold to a Mr Van Willigen in the Netherlands and he raced the car throughout the Seventies and Eighties.
The car ended up in the ownership of discerning enthusiast Hugh Taylor and in 2013 he commissioned a complete ‘down to the shell’ restoration by Aston Engineering of Derby. There is a photographic record of these works in the history file. In addition to the restoration the engine was upgraded to 4.7 litres and air-conditioning and power steering were installed to create a potent touring car that would be comfortable for long distances.